Hourly IT Consulting Rates, 2021
This guide will give you a good idea of how to find an IT consultant and how much it will cost so you can budget accordingly.
We’ll provide you with ballpark figures for software development consulting rates that can be found on the market in 2021, but please be cautious. Accurate rates should be specified with your vendor, as there are no one-size-fits-all solutions.
There are very few enterprises in 2021 that can remain competitive without incorporating technology into their business process…
Yet most business owners have no idea where to start when it comes to implementing technology—or how to budget for custom software that meets their unique needs.
Even if you have an in-house IT specialist, they may have certain biases and preferences that keep you stuck with outdated or poorly performing systems that cost you money in the long run.
An independent IT consultant approaches your business with an objective eye to help evaluate your needs for software, improve workflow, and help you grow your business.
Who are we? TATEEDA GLOBAL is a software development consulting firm from San Diego, CA. We have worked with dozens of U.S.-based clients, including large healthcare companies. If you want to learn more about our services and rates, schedule a free consultation with us.
Before we delve into the specifics of IT and software consulting rates, let’s check out the typical responsibilities of an IT consultant…
Table of Contents
10 Typical Responsibilities of an IT Consultant
General tasks of an IT consulting specialist include:
1. Translation of the customer’s business requirements/ideas into technical specifications and executable activities.
2. Recommendations for the best IT practices, technologies, and software products to bridge your organization’s vision, goals, and existing resources with up-to-the-minute IT market offerings and solutions.
3. Tech leadership for assessment of potential vendors/agencies or service providers, plus assistance in hiring tech-related employees and freelancers.
4. Defining IT project scope and coming up with realistic timelines and cost estimates.
5. Dealing with vendors and subcontractors to acquire their products and services on better terms.
6. Selection and deployment of suitable tech-focused resources within the organization, including the execution and efficiency of task requirements and continuous supervision of work assignments and deadlines.
7. Integrating external resources with an in-house IT team, which can require advanced soft skills and team-management proficiency.
8. Reporting: accurately and consistently keep records on project progress, issues, and success points to keep the client up to date.
9. Solving technical or business issues on behalf of the client in collaboration with an existing IT team and/or other departments.
10. Assisting the client with other managerial tasks that require certain levels of technical expertise and advanced competency.
Do All IT Consultants Have the Same Skill Set?
Different IT consultants offer different skills, specialties, qualifications, and an individual spectrum of tech competency.
The most in-demand expertise areas of IT consultants include:
- Strategic IT innovation and management
- IT security audits and management
- Digital marketing management
- Software consulting and management
- Professional software implementation
- Fintech, health-tech, biotech, and other consulting specialties
- Tech evangelization and staff coaching…
- And many others.
That’s why you must clearly understand which type of IT consulting specialist will be the best match for your next project.
TATEEDA GLOBAL is a California-based medical software development and IT consulting company that specializes in, but is not limited to, the following areas:
- IT consulting services for U.S.-based healthcare providers
- Implementation of IoT solutions in medical practices
- Augmentation of existing health tech projects, with deep resources in a variety of fields: project management, IT advisory, software development expertise/services, and more
- IT system re-engineering, improvements, and software maintenance services in healthcare
- Testing and quality assurance for medical software solutions.
Are All Consulting Services Charged at the Same Hourly Rate?
No. Since not all projects have the same requirements and goals, different IT consulting services will be required and priced accordingly.
The costs of consulting services can vary significantly based upon the specific type of services and industries involved. Additional details are covered in the sections that follow.
If you’re interested in reasonably-priced IT consulting services for your medical organization, be sure to contact us and learn more about our rates.
Before we proceed to the factors affecting the IT services hourly rates, let’s check out the benefits that come with these types of services…
The Advantages of an IT Consulting Service
A good software consulting firm works with companies like yours to identify your software needs and make recommendations for implementation. They often develop long-term relationships with clients, integrating and upgrading software systems as your company scales.
Benefits of working with a software consulting firm include:
- Personalized service. A good IT consulting firm will make every effort to understand the nature of your business and its needs. They will do a thorough analysis of your existing systems, identify your pain points, and make recommendations for software that supports your business processes and helps your company grow.
- Access to resources. A professional IT consulting firm has extensive connections with various vendors and developers. They know how to gather the best people and equipment to execute your project in an organized and timely manner.
- Project management. An experienced IT consulting firm can quickly assess the scope of your project and provide a fairly accurate estimate of how much it will cost to develop. They can put together a development team, create a realistic timeline and determine the best methodology for building a successful software product.
- Ongoing involvement and communication. A software consulting firm will keep you in the loop at every stage of your project’s development. They will answer all your questions, address your concerns and solicit your feedback at various stages of the development lifecycle. They will also document every step, and provide you with periodic reports.
- Project oversight. Your IT consulting firm will make sure all your project’s requirements are satisfied, and keep the project on track to meet deadlines.
- Collaboration. If your company has an in-house IT staff, a consulting firm will work with your IT specialists to train them on the new technology and advise them on how to make the best use of it.
- Accountability. When working with an established IT consulting firm vs a freelancer, you have more control over your project, and more accountability for work performed. While there are many skilled and knowledgeable freelancers, many operate without an established business entity, and it can be difficult to follow up with them, or even find them if your project goes awry.
An IT consulting company can also be invaluable for hiring advice and project oversight of your in-house team. They bring an unbiased perspective to the table, so you can make more informed strategic decisions.
Many IT consulting firms specialize in certain industries, such as healthcare, fintech, automotive and other specialty industries. Working with professionals who understand your industry can ensure that your new software will bring a lucrative return on investment.
Factors Influencing IT Consultant Cost
Many variables go into determining the cost of IT consulting services, making it difficult to nail down a general tech-consultant hourly rate.
Variables affecting hourly rates for IT services include:
- Client industry and size of enterprise
- IT consultants’ skill level and experience
- Scope and complexity of the project
- Required technology stack
- Project features and functionality
- Project timeline
Certain projects require highly skilled developers with extensive industry knowledge, so you can expect to pay top dollar for their expertise.
You may be able to find a freelance IT consultant who charges less, but you will have less recourse for failed projects, missed deadlines or unexpected additional fees.
In addition, the fee structure for IT consultants varies from one consultant to the next. Some may charge per project, some may charge a tech consultant hourly rate, some may charge a daily rate, and some may work on a monthly retainer.
Before deciding on an IT consultant, you should have a clear picture of their fee structure and a solid estimate of what your project will cost to implement.
Types of IT Consulting Services
Before diving into IT consulting prices, it is important to determine whether you want to hire a freelance IT consultant or work with a consulting firm.
While a freelancer may be able to execute a simple small-scale project for your company that does not demand a full development team, they may not see the big picture of what it will take to help your business grow and remain competitive.
In addition, it may be difficult to find a freelance IT consultant who is reliable and knowledgeable enough to develop a top-quality custom software product.
Software consulting firms can range in size from a small enterprise with one or two employees to an IT giant like IBM. Below you’ll find estimated hourly IT consulting rates for 2021, grouped by category:
- Novices. We all have to start somewhere, and many IT novices seek out internships or support positions where they can gain experience and benefit from working with seasoned developers. You may be able to find a novice willing to work for as little as $25-50 per hour, but be prepared to get what you pay for.
- Freelancers. There is an abundance of freelancers out there with varying degrees of expertise and experience. Some of the most skilled developers are able to pick and choose their projects, moving from one project to the next as opportunities arise. Other freelancers are novices who are just getting started. A seasoned IT pro with specialized skills may charge anywhere from $100-300 per hour. IT consulting firms often maintain working relationships with freelancers who step into the picture when their expertise is needed.
- Offshore/nearshore IT consultants. There are numerous IT companies around the globe who offer IT services to US enterprises. Many of them subcontract their services to small IT consultancies on a per-project basis. Prices can range from $25-75 per hour.
- Small custom software companies. Small IT consulting firms often have a bare-bones in-house staff of fewer than 10 employees, relying on contractors when they need to build a team for a large-scale or specialized project. They often cultivate close working relationships with their clients, giving a personalized touch to the software development process. You can expect to pay a small IT company between $75 to $175 per hour.
- Mid-sized IT consulting firms. Mid-sized companies often work with businesses of all sizes, ranging from SMEs to large enterprises, on projects ranging from $50,000 to $5 million. They may have anywhere from 10 to 100 employees, and charge anywhere from $125-175 hourly.
- Consulting firms for big businesses. Large-scale IT consultancies often employ hundreds of staff to execute projects ranging from $125,000 to $5 million. Be ready to pay an hourly rate of $200-300 for their IT consulting services.
- Enterprise-level IT firms. Large government projects and massive Fortune 500 corporations often require high levels of expertise, with multiple teams working simultaneously to meet their software needs. IT firms at this level may have thousands of employees, and charge top dollar, billing at rates between $250-850 per hour.
How to Select the Best IT Consultant
…And how to make sure you find a real professional in the field of IT consulting.
Unfortunately, the web is always full of self-proclaimed “IT gurus” that offer sub-par tech expertise at a high cost. The same refers to crooked IT consulting agencies that don’t even have their own teams (but usually pretend they do). Instead, they outsource all your tasks to cheap freelancers they find on gig platforms.
We’d like to give you a few simple recommendations on how to avoid wasting your time and money on charlatans so you can find a truly professional IT assistant:
Request work samples. Always ask for a portfolio of previous work plus a proven track of success so you can assess their skills and overall quality level.
Assess their work ethic. Gain insight into their work style and performance metrics. If they have a testimonial base, make sure to background-check the sources of where their feedback came from to weed out fake comments.
Verify credentials. Check out the industry certifications, certified achievements, and diplomas provided by your potential IT consultants with the appropriate online tools.
Look for negative feedback. Google any negative feedback or mentions available on the web. If any is found, make sure it is credible, not generated by a black-hat PR campaign.
Assess their soft skills. Make sure you feel comfortable dealing with the company hired as your future IT consulting provider. Ask them about their communication skills and teamwork background.
Arrange frequent telephone calls. If it’s supposed to be a big IT consulting team, schedule calls with their managers and specialists so you can see that they are readily available for personal calls and other time-sensitive communications.
Talk about their technological approach. Be sure they can provide you with a clear vision of how they are going to help you. Let them explain their battle-tested methodologies and technological preferences while providing a detailed plan for what they’ll do to boost and measure your project outcomes.
Software Consulting Provider With a Solid Background
At TATEEDA GLOBAL, we offer affordable software consulting, thanks to our remote R&D development team in Ukraine.
We do not employ software development/consulting freelancers. Instead, we prefer a well-balanced mix of the brightest full-time talents from the U.S. and Ukraine working as a unified team. Learn more: How to Find and Hire Healthcare Software Developers for Your Medical Projects.
Estimated Software Development Hourly Rate Comparison, in U.S. Dollars
|Service||United States / hourly rate||Ukraine / hourly rate|
NOTE: The software consulting rates provided above are a rough estimate. Actual numbers should be specified with your vendor.
Learn more: Guide to the Software Development Process
Tech Consultant Hourly Rates
Some companies opt to hire in-house IT consultants on a full-time basis. Here are some hourly rates for tech consultants in the United States as listed by various online job recruitment resources:
- According to ZipRecruiter.com, tech consultants in the US make an average of $36 per hour and more than $68.51 at the high end.
- The median hourly rate for IT consultants as reported by salary.com is $54, with $40 at the low end of their scale, and $68 at the high end.
There are countless other online resources that cite IT consulting prices. But at the end of the day, you should never choose an IT consultant based on cost alone.
Cutting corners in the early stages of development can leave you with software that underperforms or malfunctions, costing you even more time and money to eradicate bugs and fix coding errors. In the worst case scenario, you may be left with an inferior product that has to be completely rebuilt from scratch.
TATEEDA GLOBAL, Your Expert IT Consulting Firm in San Diego
To get the best return of investment on your software development project, you need an experienced team of professionals who are dedicated to building top-quality products.
Whether you are looking for a software developer to build custom software for your business, need outstaffing services to augment your in-house team, or need to outsource a portion of your in-house development project to seasoned developers, TATEEDA GLOBAL is your one-stop-shop.
You can learn more about our expertise in healthcare software development from these articles:
- Patient Electronic Data-capture Solution Development
- E-Prescription Software Development
- Custom EHR/EMR Software Development
- Patient Portal Development Guide
- Medical Software Development for Staff Management and Scheduling
- mHealth App Development: the Ultimate Guide
- Remote Patient-monitoring Software Development
- Remote ECG-monitoring Software Development
- Cardiology EHR/EMR Software Development: Benefits and Features
- Healthcare Payroll Software Development
Contact TATEEDA GLOBAL today, and start leveraging high-performing technology to scale your business.