Best Development Tools for Hybrid Mobile Applications
Businesses today cannot survive without an online presence, and with increasing numbers of customers accessing businesses from their smartphones, a mobile application is a must-have for companies of every size and genre. Google agrees, and in 2019 the search giant implemented mobile-first indexing that considers the mobile version of a web page first when determining search rankings.
Mobile app functionality is fairly simplistic compared to that of web apps, but their development is more complex. As a business owner, you may be able to create your own mobile app using a template, but it is not likely to satisfy your needs for flexibility, scalability, data storage, and other features required for your business, and you will quickly outgrow it. To create a mobile app with advanced functionality that delivers exemplary user experience, you should hire a professional app development agency.
Native vs Hybrid Mobile Applications
Native apps are created with the specific requirements of your business in mind. Developing native mobile applications requires extensive knowledge of Java and SML programming languages. Native applications are OS specific, meaning you will need to build a unique version for both iOS and Android. Native apps cost more than hybrid apps and take longer to develop, but they typically deliver superior performance.
In essence, hybrid application frameworks are a fusion of web and native apps. Hybrids are unique from native apps in that they only require one build to function on any operating system. A growing number of hybrid app frameworks on the market give developers a vast variety of hybrid app development tools to choose from.
Hybrid App Examples
In many cases, which hybrid app framework you use comes down to the developer’s personal preference and their mastery of hybrid language, but it also hinges on your project’s type and purpose. Mobil app categories cover a broad range of topics that satisfy a multitude of functions.
Here are just a few of the most popular hybrid app categories:
- Gaming apps: Many of the earliest mobile apps were simple games that came as built-in features on mobile phones and tablets. Today’s mobile gaming apps are much more sophisticated, with advanced functionality and interactive capability.
- Social apps: Since its inception, the telephone has connected us with friends and loved ones, but smartphones and mobile applications take socializing to a whole new level, with social media, dating apps, meetup apps and other applications that keep us in touch and informed.
- Entertainment apps: Whether your binge crush is movies, sports, music or other forms of entertainment, there’s a mobile app for that. You no longer need to be tethered to the couch to catch up or keep up with your favorites.
- News apps: Gone are the days when you had to wait for the morning paper to get the previous day’s news. News media outlets update their stories as they unfold, to deliver the latest news and information via mobile applications.
- Health and fitness apps: From monitoring your vitals to counting your steps, mobile apps help you stay in shape with every type of fitness app available, along with nutrition apps to keep your diet on track. No excuses!
- Food and beverage apps: Foodies love mobile apps for recipes, menu planning, restaurant reviews and the latest food fads.
- Education apps: Ditch the library and learn on the go with education apps that help you gain new skills, learn another language, get certified in your niche, or even earn an advanced degree.
- Utility apps: Pay your bills, do your banking, summon a rideshare, check the weather, get directions and a multitude of other minor tasks and errands, all from the convenience of your smartphone.
- Business apps: Whether you need to stay connected to your team or perform admin tasks on the go, business apps make it easy to get things done from almost anywhere in the world.
These are just a handful of hybrid app examples, and the many ways mobile apps are used by the masses continues to grow daily. If you own a business in the 2020s, consumers expect to be able to access your services via a mobile app.
Developers’ Favorite Hybrid App Frameworks
There are many ways to gauge popularity, but market share is usually a solid indicator of which products developers find most useful and user-friendly. Here are the 5 most popular hybrid app frameworks:
- Apache Cordova: Previously called PhoneGap, Apache Cordova was acquired and renamed by Adobe in 2009. It is one of the older app development platforms that has been upgraded for cross-platform development capabilities. It uses the popular HTML5 coding language and simplifies the design process while speeding up development. However, apps built on Cordova tend to be noticeably slower than those built on competitors. Apache Cordova is popular for small business apps and for building app prototypes.
- Xamarin: Acquired by Microsoft in 2016, Xamarin uses C# coding language that enables the use of .Net features and API integration. Xamarin is loved for its high performance and extensive libraries, but it is a bit on the pricey side, and there are not many developers who know how to use it. Not recommended for gaming apps.
- Ionic: Launched in 2013, Ionic is also considered an “older” platform. The Ionic framework is open-source, and developers find it easy and enjoyable to use. Ionic is easy to update, and offers a broad range of UI components. Ionic is best for creating non-complex apps with basic functionality.
- Flutter: A fairly new Google product, Flutter uses Google’s Dart programming language, with a single codebase for iOS and Android. Flutter is super fast, with a hot loading feature that implements code changes instantaneously. Downsides are that developers have to learn Dart before they can use Flutter, and apps built with Flutter tend to be 40% larger than native apps.
Native and Hybrid Mobile App Development at Tateeda
If you want your business to thrive in the 2020s and beyond, you need to go mobile. The professional app developers at Tateeda combine years of experience with in-depth knowledge of mobile application development, using the NativeScript framework to design high-performing apps that wow your customers. We work closely with our clients to ensure your mobile app meets all your requirements for design, functionality, stable performance and user experience. Contact us today, and see why Tateeda is a leader in custom software solutions for 21st Century businesses.